Friday, June 27, 2008

Luna Sea!

So I realize I am WAY behind on my updates, but here's a recap from the final paint day and the launch of the "new" boat!

My launch was scheduled for the morning of April 19, so Chris and I arrived in Sandusky on Friday evening to complete the final touches to the boat. The first project was to add the non-skid color accents. For this I used Interlux Brightside in Kingston Gray. I rolled it on in about 30 minutes while Chris finished some of the electrical work (wiring in the cockpit lights, etc). I then went around and made one last check of through hulls and the keel, and thanks to a neighbor with some leftover paint, touched up the bottom. After sunset, we headed out to Lyman Harbor for dinner and drinks.

Finally! The big day was upon us... launch day! After months of sawing, sanding, wiring, painting and cleaning... the "new" boat was ready for the water. We put our name on the list of other eager boaters waiting for their launch. While waiting, Chris and I performed some last minute checks: Through hulls were in good shape, her recently powdercoated tiller was bolted back into place, and her outboard was reconnected- fresh from the service department. The final touch came her new name, which was covered in its contact paper until the renaming ceremony could be carried out. Chris and I completed the de-naming ceremony that morning, where we bid farewell to the name SHAZAM.

At 11 am she began the trip back to the well where she had been lifted out 5 months earlier. Her keel and rudder slowly dipped into the cold, murky water and soon she was floating again! Shortly there after boat and mast were reunited. Then it was time to back out of the well and make her way to Dock A-74. However, after both a failed electronic and pull start, we found out that the service had inadvertently set the engine on its side while it was in their shop, flooding the cylinders with oil. Fortunately they knew the error of their ways and sent a tech to fix the problem. So after being slowly moved via ropes to the service dock, work on the motor began and soon the boat was back in her summer place!

At the dock, Chris and I grabbed the champagne to complete her transition from old to new. After offering bubbly to Neptune and to the 4 winds, we toasted to her and slowly removed the backing paper to reveal her new name: Luna Sea. A mystical yet tongue-in-cheek name that best embodies her and her skipper.

Soon after the renaming ceremony we unpacked the rest of the CG equipment and decided it was time for a sail. The winds were pretty decent with an air temp of 70 degrees. We were joined by one of the bartenders we had met earlier at Lyman Harbor and after a quick lunch we headed out into the bay. The boat seemed happy to be back in her element. We decided to make it a short sail since it was her first time out this season. I was convinced that Neptune had accepted the "new" boat to his kingdom. However, I quickly learned that Neptune will from time to time invoke a hazing ritual to test a vessel's worthiness.

On the return trip back to Sandusky Harbor, I saw 3 other boats out: 1 sailboat, 2 power. I observed the other sailboat running parallel to us on a port tack, roughly 3/4 of a mile away. We were making about 5 knots and had a heel of no more than 5 degrees. Suddenly, the other boat quickly lowered its main and furled its jib. I looked at Chris and said "we need to drop sail... I think that guy knows something we don't." Not 10 seconds later and without warning, we were broadsided by a squall. The winds went from a comfortable 10 knots to 30+, and soon we were heeled over 30 degrees and burying the port rail. I turned us away from the wind and we soon righted. Chris immediately dropped the sails as I started the motor. The seas had swelled to 4ft with whitecaps as we slowly made way for Sandusky Harbor. We fought wind and waves for an hour before we arrived back in the harbor, the sails tangled up and lying on deck. The halyards wrapped around the stays and the sheets were intertwined with every bit of deck hardware within reach. But, we were back safe. And I think Neptune was quite impressed with the new old girl!

Needless to say after dinner and a few rum drinks we were out for the night. The temps dipped into the mid 40s as the boat bucked and kicked at the dock all night. The next morning the morning fog slowly lifted as we continued to get her ready for the season. The sails were back in place, the lazyjacks reinstalled and soon she was ready for her next adventure. It's good to be back!

How to rename your boat


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That paint job looks great! It's obvious you're an artsy type. When I paint it looks candle-ish. Nice to sea you on the water. After all the work you've done I hope you'll get plenty of time to sail with friends this year!!
Zombi

Christian Nally said...

Thanks for posting so much detail about your work.

My name is Christian Nally, and I'm trying to resurrect the C26 owners list. First step to get the Yahoo Group going again, second step our own domain.

I couldn't retrieve your e-mail address from the old yahoo emails I had, because you had set your yahoo groups preferences to not give it away. If you want on the new list, just look me up at http://sticksallison.com

regards